Along with the warm weather, comes the budding of flowers and plants in our gardens.

They may look lovely and are a source of enjoyment for both us and our furry babies, but when Fido, the cat, is playing hide and seek amongst the flowers or Max the puppy is getting inquisitive, we need to ensure they aren’t eating any of these tempting treats!

A lot of people already know that our favourite Christmas plant, the Poinsettia, is toxic, as is Easter Lily…but did you know there is a long list of other poisonous flowers and plants that can affect our loved ones?

At Princess Animal Hospital, we have a lot of concerned pet parents afraid of what lurks in the garden. Most plants are safe, and some may only cause some GI upset (tummy-ache), however some can be more harmful.

A few of the common ones we see are:

Apples – they actually contain a form of cyanide (especially high concentration in the seed). Cats and dogs eating stems, leaves and seeds of an apple can develop dilated pupils, breathing difficulty, panting and can even lead the pet to go into shock.

Begonias – these can cause irritation in the mouth, tongues and lips of cats and dogs who may take a bite! It can cause excessive drooling, vomiting and difficulty swallowing. Tubers are the most toxic.

Daffodils – very commonly seen in many gardens, these can cause a lot of concern. Dogs and cats can develop vomiting, salivation and diarrhea. Large ingestion of these can cause convulsions, low blood pressure, tremors and cardiac arrhythmias. Bulbs are the most toxic part.

Iris – these beauties can cause excess salivation, vomiting, drooling, lethargy and diarrhea in both cats and dogs.

For any further information, please give us a call at 613-634-7123.

You can also check out this website, for a detailed list of toxic plants and flowers you (and your pets) may find in your or your neighbour’s garden.

Enjoy your Spring, and Happy Gardening!

~Alison, RVT